Time to focus on prevention!
The holidays are upon us again! Many of us associate holidays with food and indulgence. While it is fine to enjoy food and the traditions we have associated with food, remember to eat mindfully. Diabetes affects AT LEAST 18.8 million people and is often preventable with healthy diet and exercise. While some risk factors, like family history and sex/ethnicity cannot be helped, the foods you eat and your level of physical activity can.
- Try to make small changes to your lifestyle.
- Shop with a grocery list and stick to the list!
- Plan your healthy meals in advance and purchase only the foods you need.
- Skip the “filler” aisles at the store and eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Find a physical activity you enjoy and make it part of your routine – at least 4-5 days each week!
- Remember to see your doctor regularly for checkups!
Check out www.diabetes.org and www.choosemyplate.gov for more information.